homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappointed in congress and senate

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappointed in congress and senate
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:46:18 -0500

On Aug 23, 2008, at 7:36 PM, DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:

Pelosi gave a list
of promises for the first 100 days and didn't pursue any major things on the
list. A couple token talks, but no real pushes to make them happen. I just
have a hard time buying the idea that change will occur, let alone be positive
if they gain the white house. They had the perfect opportunity to earn my
loyalty over these 6 years, but have done nothing. I get the feeling they want
things to look as bad as possible to help them in their white house bid
rather than gaining our support through actual effort. Just wondering how everyone
else feels about this, I would feel better if they were sending all these
bills up to the white house and I could blame Bush for vetos but let's face it,
they don't even try.

I feel the same. Modern American politics has become something that embarrasses me as an American.

I keep saying vote against the incumbent and the incumbents keep getting reelected.

I see daunting reasons why Obama will not be able to make substantive change. But I do believe he recognizes the big issues and he will do what he can. I was long a Republican but they lost me for so many reasons. Obama is super intelligent and he has good values and he knows how average Americans live. Bush Senior was disconnected from most of America. Bush Junior has been overtly and unabashedly generous to the wealthy and McCain doesn't even know how many houses he and Cindy own. I feel a need for a president who knows how most of us live and who at least tries to represent all of America.

As for Congress, the reason I say always vote against the incumbent is because career politicians strive for getting reelected, not for trying to make America better. I am depressed by the obvious low political IQ of so many voters, so I, probably vainly, hope that a mantra might become fixed.

Always vote against the incumbent. At the least, vote against the party in power. It's the best chance for balance. It's the best chance that the powerful, which is to say the corrupt, will not bankrupt us.

In this case, vote against the incumbent party in the White House.