homestead - [Homestead] Compromise, Hell! by Wendell Berry

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <DropOut AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Compromise, Hell! by Wendell Berry
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:16:51 -0500

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/147/

"We Americans are not usually thought to be a submissive people, but of
course we are. Why else would we allow our country to be destroyed? Why else
would we be rewarding its destroyers? Why else would we all-by proxies we
have given to greedy corporations and corrupt politicians-be participating
in its destruction? Most of us are still too sane to piss in our own
cistern, but we allow others to do so and we reward them for it. We reward
them so well, in fact, that those who piss in our cistern are wealthier than
the rest of us."

"Governments seem to be making the opposite error, believing that the people
can be adequately protected without protecting the land. And here I am not
talking about parties or party doctrines, but about the dominant political
assumption. Sooner or later, governments will have to recognize that if the
land does not prosper, nothing else can prosper for very long. We can have
no industry or trade or wealth or security if we don't uphold the health of
the land and the people and the people's work."

"We need to confront honestly the issue of scale. Bigness has a charm and a
drama that are seductive, especially to politicians and financiers; but
bigness promotes greed, indifference, and damage, and often bigness is not
necessary. You may need a large corporation to run an airline or to
manufacture cars, but you don't need a large corporation to raise a chicken
or a hog. You don't need a large corporation to process local food or local
timber and market it locally."

Don Bowen KI6DIU

  • [Homestead] Compromise, Hell! by Wendell Berry, Don Bowen, 08/22/2008