homestead - Re: [Homestead] One year vision

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] One year vision
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:47:13 -0500

It's easy to get pessimistic about the future. I think there is a good and bad side to pessimism: The good side is that it can keep you on your toes and prepared; however it can also lead to severe depression if you don't have hope. I think the economic disasters we are seeing are largely the result of how Americans have been living, but eight years of King George have certainly brought about a quickened demise to life as we've known it. Maybe this is an opportunity in disguise.

I'm not pleased with our lame Democratic senate either, and whoever becomes the next President is going to be inheriting a mess that will take more than a couple terms to repair. The problems will have to be addressed and solved by an entire nation changing how they live and what they expect from life, a redefining of what is "enough" and what makes them happy. One of the reasons I am voting for Obama is I think he can instill hope and inspire people to change at a grassroots level.

I think we will personally get by OK. We are starting a local food co-op group as a community building effort to address the local concern over food. This gives us hope.

Has anyone read Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben? My husband is reading it and says it's right-on, all about bio-regionalism. I'll read it next.

"A hopeful manifesto...an inspiring book that shows us not only the way we need to live, but also the way we should want to."--Boston Globe
"What makes McKibben's book stand out is the completeness of his arguments and his real-world approach to solutions." --USA Today
"McKibben's round-the-world reporting and thoughtful analysis give great weight to both his warnings and his prescriptions for change..."--Christian Science Monitor

--Sage