homestead - [Homestead] Calaloo

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Calaloo
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:51:52 -0400

Or Vegetable Amaranth. Anyone grow it? It's also called Green Leaf or
Jamaican Spinach. I got some seeds form my aunt, who go them from a
Jamaican friend.

It grows really fast, is not fussy, likes water and heat. I like that
you can eat the stalk also, so you can just top it off and it comes
back from what you leave.

I am going to save some seed this year, so may have some in the fall.
I like greens, but traditional greens are a big problem in the heat of
summer. My aunt has diabetes and was told that eating Calaloo every
day will help balance blood sugar. She swears by it.

It is a weed, like pig weed if it gets away from you, but I figure a
weed you can eat or feed to the chickens is the weed to have.

Rob - Va