homestead - Re: [Homestead] Salsa

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Salsa
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:56:20 -0400

> What are your favorite salsa Fresca recipes keeping in mind that though the
> gardens may be full of tomatoes and Garlic, the stores do not maintain a
> stock of fresh Serrano Chilies or Cilantro.

Buying salsa is a sin to be likened to driving in the ruts :>)

I worked in a Tex Mex restaurant some years ago. I learned salsa
making there and have perfected it over the years (at least I think
so). Grow your own chilies and cilantro, too.

Pico de Gallo or Chirimole

Finely chop equal amounts of tomato and onion. Tomato should be firm
ripe and you can add some green tomato or one that has not ripened
evenly. Finely chop a little garlic, chile and lots of cilantro. Mix
all together, add lime juice and salt to taste. This one is good with
serrano, but use whatever you have.

Salsa

You want firm ripe tomatoes for this, a little green on the top makes
it good or add one green tomato. Jalapeno peppers work well.

Over or alongside the coals of a fire roast some tomatoes and chiles.
Place them over the fire and do not move them. Let one side get black
burned and the other side be raw. This roasting step is important. The
smoke of the fire adds flavor. You can do it under a broiler in a
pinch. There is no excuse to not use a coals from a wood fire in my
mind.

When the tomatoes and peppers are roasted, let them cool a bit and
then mash, blend or process to the consistency you want. I like
chunky. I blend the peppers with just a little tomato and then add the
result to the rest of the tomato so as to not get it too hot or too
mild.

Salt, roughly chop onion, chop cilantro, finely chop a little garlic
and mix it in.

There are no proportions to this. Just add chiles to your liking,
salt, garlic and onion.

The result is a nice salsa that is not totally cooked or totally raw.
There are flavor flecks of the burned skin throughout. You can
refrigerate or to be really authentic, make it a little ahead and let
it sit at room temp. It will almost ferment a little. That's when it's
best, The health department did not like that step.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Salsa, Don Bowen, 07/19/2008
    • Re: [Homestead] Salsa, Robert Walton, 07/19/2008