homestead - [Homestead] Mole trap report

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mole trap report
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:59:44 -0500

Brother, Gary, sent me two mole traps after finding they worked well for him. They are Victor "Out O' Sight" models and I have no idea what they cost. They operate with a very strong spring and come with two levers with which to set them. You dig down into a mole tunnel and make room for the trap, then make a small mound of dirt under where the trigger pan will be. The instructions say to then fill the excavation with light soil. I did that on one and for the other just set a bucket upside down over the trap with a rock on top. This precludes light and also protects pets from getting into the thing. The mole travels through its tunnel and pushes through the mound which pushes up the trigger pan, which causes a set of jaws on both ends to snap shut. I set both of them last night and this morning found a very good mole in one of them. Very good moles are very dead moles. This mole is big and fat from feasting in one of my worm-rich garden beds. I gave it to the chickens.

  • [Homestead] Mole trap report, Gene GeRue, 07/18/2008