homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:28:59 -0400

I finally was able to get an oil filter. Changed it out, and the light
is still on. Interesting that the
new filter filled with oil right away. How would it do that if the
pump is not pumping oil?

I checked oil and added a little after changing the filter.

Anyway, shop manual says to check the oil pressure by removing the
pressure switch and hooking up a gauge. I don't have a gauge, but in
locating the switch, noticed that the little clip on circular thing
that clips on the wire and then onto the pressure switch was broken
off and the wire had just been screwed onto the switch. But when I
remove the wire, light goes out, when I connect it, light goes on. So
assume the light is working properly.

I need to get a gauge. The pressure switch could be bad or the pump as
I see it now. Still confused on how the oil is getting to the new
filter without a pump. If the pressure switch is cheap, seems like
changing that might be a good idea.

My manual does not go into detail on the pump, other than clearances.
Says the pump mounts on the front of thy cylinder block. Can be
removed after removing the timing gear cover. (Now just have to figure
out where those things are :>)

Rob - Va