homestead - Re: [Homestead] ? for Bev

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ? for Bev
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:53:46 -0400

Before I get started,,,,welcome back April!! I have often wondered what happened to you!

Atlanta is spread out...All the burbs have what the city does...so you can be 30 miles from downtown and still be 'in the city' so to speak. Actually, you can be almost 50 miles from downtown and still be, as folks around here call it, 'in 'lanta'. I kid you not, even the elected officials of Calhoun will tell you that Calhoun is only 30 minutes north of Atlanta, because they consider the outer burbs part of the city. Just for kicks, I mapquested my way from EarthNSky to Turner Field, which by all forms of reckoning, in is downtown Atlanta. Mapquest says I am 85 miles, and 1 hour and 40 minutes from downtown. I doubt seriously that time accounts for traffic, and I can tell you, having driven from coast to coast, that the metro area has some of the worst traffic I've experienced..worse than Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Portland..KC..St. Louis, etc....been there, done that in rush hour...

Now, I live in the boonies, and I can send you google satellite to prove it. There is nothing around me but National Forest, and yet I am 'only 85 miles' away..my boss lives down in the burbs and commutes up here...I don't know what people would consider to be a reasonable commute, but because the Big A is so big, you would probably work in the burbs anyway, making any commute shorter. Many, if not most, commute from burb to burb, only venturing in the city for entertainment.

Hardwood forests are everywhere...Atlanta itself is called the city of trees...more freakin' trees than you can imagine in a city. Does this person want a tract of woods or a true forest...you can find 50 acre tracts of woods-thick woods you can't walk through- even in the burbs, shoot, probably even in the city...maybe not 50, but 20... ;)

It is really too big of a question to answer as it will depend on where one ends up working....working in the airline industry would put one looking on the south, east, or west sides, working for IBM would put you up on the north side..

As a general rule, the further south you go, the flatter it is, with the coastal plain-the old fall line-straddling the state south of Atlanta. The northern suburbs would probably be technically the edge of the piedmont, and up where I live, you would be on the Appalachian chain proper.

If your friend is a horse person, and wants a horse farm, then she wants to look east towards Conyers (Olympic Equestrian area) or north towards Cumming, Alpharetta, and Canton.

Give me more info.....

Lynda wrote:
O.K., Bev, I have a question for you. In relationship to a reasonable commute to Atlanta, where would you go looking for a farm. Needs to have some hardwood forests nearby or on the land.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky