homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unschooling

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unschooling
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:09:58 -0500

On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

On the contrary, the evidence is crushingly, overwhelmingly that left alone,
children learn what they need to know. Confinement, regimentation, testing,
and all such are utterly unnecessary unless you have some other goal in mind
besides the academics.

Now the stage has been expanded. This discussion has heretofore hardly hinted at what is in this above: "what they need to know." What they need to know.

"What they need to know" could imply steering. Parents typically feel they must make this decision for their children, yes? They must play god, yes? They must steer them. No? There it is: what they need to know. Now then we must ask, "need to know" for what? To accomplish what? Is it not natural for parents to have goals for their children? That reminds me of many things that many people do, but to speak of them would cause a major digression.

I am ignorant of unschooling but I suspect that "what they need to know" is to be self-determined. Left to find their own path, they will learn what they need to know to satisfy themselves. Yes? No? What are the odds? What are the known results? How sound is our godness?

From homestead philosophy to schooling philosophy--to life philosophy. Let no one say that we homesteaders lack curiosity.