homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:36:36 -0500

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> It takes conditioning and effort to mow with a scythe to be sure. But not
> all that much if it's done with a proper scythe properly sharpened and done
> with
> anything approaching a reasonable technique. When I'm teaching someone to
> mow with a scythe, and this has actually happened a number of times, the
> first
> couple of hours are a constant droning chant of "Put the scythe back on the
> ground, put the scythe back on the ground."

I'm getting a scythe, but for next year as I don't have a functional
left arm at this time. On 10 acres that's all I'll ever need.

I must say though that my late great-aunt Mabel, who spent most of her
time living in Chicago and was not in the best of shape, could take an
American scythe and mow whatever needed mowing. I watched her do the
lane to my Uncle Johnny's house one day. It looked easy. Had I thought
about it, I'd have asked her to teach me, but I was young and foolish
at the time and figured that such knowledge was infused when you
needed it.

Marie