homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fuel price perspective
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:27:05 -0400

On Jun 1, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
... a constant droning chant of "Put the scythe back on the
ground, put the scythe back on the ground."

Similar things happen while learning to fly an aircraft (correctly).

.. The sharpness does the cutting, not your
back. It looks more like dancing or tai chi than hard labor.

That's the kind of thing I remember. As a 6-10 year old in the early 50's, I saw enough hand scything of small fields to know it can be done very nicely.

I *think* there is an old scythe blade here in one of the barns. I'll look for it and maybe at our new place it can be brought back to use. There is no handle (sorry I don't remember the right name for that).

Hmmm... I wonder if there is still a scythe at the place I grew up. There were animals there into the 40's I suspect. I'll email my Brother to see if he can find any. Certainly he's not scything anything.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180