homestead - Re: [Homestead] Staying alert for Mrs. Zeimer

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Staying alert for Mrs. Zeimer
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:55:43 -0400

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> >And there was the key, in the front pocket of the shorts. (Gene)
>
> Several years ago I lost the keys to a Nissan pickup I had.

My in-laws and my husband's brother were here this past week for their first
visit in four years, they followed us home from a family wedding we attended
last weekend.

We gave my in-laws our bedroom (for four nights--which ended up being two
too long!), and my b-i-l slept in our guest bedroom a/k/a the basement
family room w/ a queen sofa sleeper. My husband and I slept in the cabin
where we have an old futon couch.

On Thursday morning, after a night of hardly sleeping (probably caused by a
lovely heated discussion we'd had with my mother-in-law the evening before),
I got up at the crack of dawn to drive our live-in client to his Thursday
job. My husband stayed to get some sleep as he had a late gig in Roanoke
that night.

Thursday night, when he returned from his gig at 1:30 a.m. and found me on
the couch sleeping, we went to the cabin and found ourselves locked out. My
husband asked why I locked the door after I left? It took me a good thirty
seconds to remember that I was the one to leave early and he had stayed to
sleep (my husband usually drives the client in on Thursday). When I
remembered and said "Hey, I left early to drive J. to work, you were the one
who locked the door!," we were both astonished at our poor memories and, of
course, there was locked door and it was going on 2:00 a.m. [I learned they
play better classical music at 2:00 in the morning on our local NPR station
than at 2:00 p.m.]

We went back up to the house and looked on every key chain. No key to the
cabin door was found. No secret hiding place for an extra key for us, that
would be way too smart. The windows we could crawl into were latched
securely. The cabin door is never locked. Why he locked it that morning is
beyond us, we think he was too tired and thought he was locking the mudroom
at our house out of habit.

We tried to sleep on the couch together. That didn't work. I took the
cushion off the sun room wicker chairs and made a mattress of sorts on the
floor. My husband was asleep in two minutes, I however slept for two minutes
the entire night as I heard my in-laws go to and from the upstairs bathroom
five times and the cat found me on the floor and wanted attention. My ear
plugs were at the cabin and the extras were in my bedside table of my
bedroom.

My in-laws went home yesterday morning (to our relief) and I slept last
night. My husband said there is a piece of wood by the latch that he can
remove to get the cabin door open.

We will make an extra key--but of course, the door will never be locked
again.

Lisa