homestead - [Homestead] Staying alert for Mrs. Zeimer

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Staying alert for Mrs. Zeimer
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:31:08 -0500

Is that an oxymoron or what?

I lost the truck key.

I always, well, almost always, leave the key on the transmission hump between the seat and the shift lever. The only reason I take it out of the ignition switch is to avoid that nasty warning sound intelligently chosen by auto engineers to help people not lock themselves out of their old vehicles.

I searched. Under the seat, behind the seat, the glove box, the floor, perhaps I put it some place when my hands were full and I set it down in an unusual place. I searched the yard between the truck and the house. I checked all of the jeans' pockets, all of them, even those I just knew I had not recently worn. I checked around the computer, in the kitchen, in the pantry.

Not to be found.

I wondered if maybe a pack rat had gotten into the truck and carried the key off.

I got the emergency key from the magnetic box affixed to the frame and wondered if I had to get a new blank from the Toyota dealer. I resolved to make that call.

This morning I decided to wear shorts for the second time since I got here.

And there was the key, in the front pocket of the shorts.

Sigh.