homestead - [Homestead] Hulless Oats

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hulless Oats
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:13:03 -0400

Hey all,

I wanted to plant some hulless oats this year, just enough to learn
and grow seed for a larger planting next year. Didn't get around to
it. Around here (south central Virgina, zone 7), oats is planted in
the fall.

I've read that hulless oats does not over-winter, but I suspect that a
lot of that information is for the northeast. Does anyone grow hulless
oats?

With all that's going on with oil prices and all, I'm really wanting
to get some small plots of grains going. I think that having seed
around might be a really good thing.

Rob - Va