homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ordering Bulk Grains

  • From: "Steve Oliphant" <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ordering Bulk Grains
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 23:04:24 -0600

Find local members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
(Mormons - the Utah mainstream ones.) They have congregations pretty
much everywhere and someone in each congregation has been tasked with
helping the others with food storage.

Their canerys have the lowest cost I have seen next to buying direct
from the farmers.
They also have a website aimed at this kind of thing at
http://www.providentliving.org that may help.
A canery price list can be seen at
http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/109157_HomeStorageOrderForm22Mar082208US_pdf.pdf

Just like any religious group - you'll run into some that only think
of converting you, but most are just willing to be good neighbors and
help out.

Disclaimer, I am a Mormon so I may be biased a little.

-Steve