homestead - [Homestead] You home brewing types might find this interesting

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] You home brewing types might find this interesting
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 00:39:46 -0400

Hops shortages"

http://arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2008/05/07/global-warming-hitting-hops-hard

"In a Nature news article this week, Nature staff writer Rex Dalton reports on how the warming climate in Northern Europe is adversely affecting the hop crop. According to Peter Darby, a hop grower in the UK, the warm springs and mild winters have caused the hop vines to sprout early, stagnate, and produce little."

And in response the Sam Adams people did this :

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/HopSharing/Default.aspx

"For a couple of months now, we’ve all been facing the unprecedented hops shortage and it’s affected all craft brewers in various ways. The impact is even worse on the small craft brewers--openings delayed, recipes changed, astronomical hops prices being paid and brewers who couldn’t make beer. <snipping of numbers> The purpose of doing this is to get some hops to the brewers who really need them. So if you don’t really need them, please don’t order them. And don’t order them just because we’re making them available at a price way below market. Order them because you need these hops to make your beer. We’re not asking questions, so let your conscience be your guide. A few mechanics--until we know how much need there is, we’ve put a maximum out there of 6 boxes per brewer, which is 528 pounds. You can order less in 88 pound increments. You pay shipping. If we get more orders than the 20,000 pounds, we’ll have a lottery. We hope this makes brewing a little easier for those hardest hit by the hop shortage."

Just goes to show you beer guzzlers aren't all bad. ; ) xoxox.

  • [Homestead] You home brewing types might find this interesting, paxamicus, 05/08/2008