homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli and potato question
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 20:27:26 EDT

> May I ask where do you store them all?

Half of them (there abouts) we dig and store in bins in the basement. About
half we either clamp in the garden or else just leave them where they are and
dig them all winter. Those left in the ground are of better quality until
about mid Feb or early Mar. Then the ones that were dug are better, or
perhaps
I should say just different. In the ground the potato determines in early
March that it is time to prepare for earnest growth and converts much of the
starch to sugar. The potatoes become very waxy and sweet. We ate perhaps
the
last of the feasible potatoes last week and will have the first new potatoes
in
about four weeks. Sometimes the two overlap. </HTML>