homestead - [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tomatoes, for the seriously space challenged
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:24:02 -0500

My neighbor lady told me about this a while back (yes, the lady who will hereafter be known as She Who Removed The Tick From Gene's Navel)--growing tomatoes upside down in a container. In her version, someone was using a five-gallon bucket. Here, the offering is a commercial container. Even for those of us with unlimited land, it would be interesting to experiment. For instance, I would like to verify that soil-borne diseases could thus be completely thwarted. And who would not like to eliminate building supports and affixing growing vines year after year. For those of us who rotate crops, those supports have to be moved. So I consider putting a line of supports down the middle of each long bed. But then it's in the way of preparing the soil and tending other crops that don't profit from supports. On the other hand, building supports from which to hang eighty-pound tomato-growing containers would be a substantial task, too.

Here is a site that describes the process and sells the containers:

http://www.gardeners.com/Gardener+s+Revolution+Planter/PotsPlanters_HangingPlanters,37-000,default,cp.html?SC=XNET8019

Go to the Instructions PDF for more info.