homestead - Re: [Homestead] How NOT to judge

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How NOT to judge
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:00:47 EDT

I read through this post a couple of times and I get that feeling I missed a
couple of intervening posts between the military iscussion and this one. But
then again, it's we're getting ready to go to the big draft horse auction,
and
although we aren't buying anything except maybe a collar pad, my mind is full
of that an not focusing on anything else clearly.

Here's my bit about judging, especially on lists like this one, diverse I
mean.

The common word used in the classical literature and the Bible for 'judge' is
the Greek word 'crites' which is the origin of our words, 'critic, critique,
an criticize'. 'Criticize' has two popular meanings: 1) complain and 2)
examine.

The same can be said for 'judge'. It is used popularly in two ways 1)
condemn and 2) discern or examine.

It's an old saw and an old theme, but on email lists, one has to take
everything possible as exmination and analysis and not as complaints and
condemnation. If everything is subject to being viewed as condemnation, all
conversation
and communication stops cold. Someone just had a post about planting
potatoes. In the dim and distant past of this list, there would have been
someone
remonstrating that they were diabetic or had Rigilian fever and you CANNOT
talk
about planting potatoes because they can't eat them.

It is possible, and highly profitable,. to view all things as what the
consquences and charateristics are rather than viewing all conversationa as
either
'hurray for our side' or else 'you're judging me'. All things have
consequences and natural results. We can lay those out an talk about them
forever and
never run short of interesting things to examime without once ever venturing
into the personal.

Homesteading has its consequences. When someone says, but with all those
animals you can't travel! True. Why would I deny it or take it in a
pejoritive
manner? I can just as easily come back that with all that travel you can't
have animals. The one is not better or worse than the other. If I choose
an
animal extensive homestead, I do without being able to leap in the saddle and
go where I will at any time. If you choose to be mobile, you don't get the
quality of the food nor the food security (nor the animal commeraderie) that
get.

Nor do I ever give much credence in the notion that "this is better for you,
and that is better for me". Hogwash. I *choose* the results of this, and
you
*choose* the results of that.

In today's world one chooses the military. It is neither good nor bad, and
at the heart of it, it is not *for* one person but not *for* another person.
It is a choice, and as in all choices it's best to talk it out ad nausium so
that the person making the choice has a realistic view of the consequences
and
natural results of that choice.

No matter what choice you make, you give up something to gain something else.

Talking about choices and their consequences and resultes is NOT judging.

James </HTML>