homestead - Re: [Homestead] HEY HEY! I hear peepers!

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] HEY HEY! I hear peepers!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:50:01 -0400

Oh there are different kinds, and they have different calls.

Here's this:

"Most nightjars have striking territorial songs that vary from clear loud whistles or whistled phrases to sustained churring, knocking, or purring sounds. The name nightjar derives from the prolonged jarring chur of the European nightjar, and the nocturnal vocalizations provide the first indication of the presence of most nightjar species for layman and ornithologist alike. Besides the song, the vocabulary of several of the better-known species includes a range of calls. The European nightjar uses at least 10 different types of calls, among which are special flight, alarm, threat, mating, brood-summoning, and food-begging calls. Mechanical wing clapping is also a feature of territorial display in the European nightjar and many other species."

http://www.answers.com/topic/nightjar

The first time I heard one was here in Virginia, and I kid you, I say, I kid you not, I thought it was a burglar alarm.

Celia

I need help on this whippoorwill thing. My memory of them in Wisconsin
is that their sound trailed off at the end: whippoorwillllllll. Here
in southern Missouri it is a hard, insistent sound, with the last of
the three sounds up a couple notes. Quite jarring and unpleasant to my
ear. Anyone know if there are two whippoorwills? Or shall we simply
attribute my confusion to my imperfect memory?