homestead - Re: [Homestead] HEY HEY! I hear peepers!

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] HEY HEY! I hear peepers!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:14:47 -0500

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM, roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
wrote:
> And I've been hearing whiporwills :) I love it when they start their calls,
> but sometimes the chorus of them can get so loud at night that I can't get
> to sleep.

Once on a hiking trip in the Ozarks, we had a whippoorwill get under
the rain fly of our tent. Did you know they make a little chirring
noise just before they do the whippoorwill call? It was an interesting
night.

The peepers have been out here for about a month. It was way too cold
for them when they emerged, and I was afraid it would kill them all
off. Nah. They just haven't been deafening this spring.

Marie