homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer\hops

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer\hops
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:15:31 -0500

On Apr 13, 2008, at 6:49 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The vine will live for more than 50 years. It will
grow very tall if you let it but it can also be trellised like a grape vine.

Seems to me one would want to consider carefully where it is planted. Its tenacity reminds me of passion vine which here also dies back to the ground and reemerges in the spring. I had trouble eradicating it as it migrated into the garden beds. Do hops roots travel much?

James, your photo shows somewhat bedraggled leaves. Is that a common characteristic or is that from some wind or just homesteader abuse?

I ask because I try to think permaculturally: have each part of the homestead act as a viable part of the whole and do more than one thing. Specifically, I am thinking that hops would make a wonderful shade canopy in an outdoor eating or lounging area. What think you?