homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol and Corn

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol and Corn
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 06:27:39 -0700

The hog raising areas in NC and the chicken raising areas in
Arkansas create mountains of nitrogen rich waste that would make the surrounding
areas a composted heaven for vegetable crops. But instead it is a pollution
problem.

Good example. Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) could be a source of a rich Nitrogen compost. Instead the waste kept liquid to make handling easier is pumped into large lagoons where it is allowed to sit for a minimal amount of time. The liquid is then pumped over fields where it is hoped the composting will be completed. The Phosperous overloads the soil and the Nitrogen runs off to pollute the ground water.

What we could do and what we are doing are widely separated by politics and economics.

Don Bowen KI6DIU