homestead - [Homestead] More spring delights

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] More spring delights
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:41:38 -0500

Both front and back bluebird houses are again occupied by expectant mothers. The males sit on high branches keeping watch, ready to chase off all who might endanger the nursery, no matter the size of the intruder. I love bluebirds: beautiful, loving, non-aggressive, and they eat bugs. These houses are mounted on metal pipe posts, something I did to avoid again watching chipmunks steal baby birds with distraught parents unable to stop them--this happened to a nest in a fence post. These two houses have now been in use for longer than I recall. I clean them out each fall and a new pair fills them up each spring.

The Starkrimson Cherry is in almost full bloom but the Balaton has no flowers yet.

Successfully bounced across the stream for the first time since arrival last Wednesday. Bought fresh veggies, seeds and a cattle panel, with which to build a beaver stop. Planted four kinds of lettuce and one spinach and set out one tomato. Rain tomorrow will set the seeds against soil.

  • [Homestead] More spring delights, Gene GeRue, 04/07/2008