homestead - [Homestead] Was Video about Obama

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Was Video about Obama
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:04:19 EDT

Well, we know a state's right to form a militia isn't going away in any of
our lifetimes...what would happen to each state's National Guard? I'm not
sure
what the formation of a 'militia' means - protection of locals from local bad
guys? From foreign bad guys? From a Shadow Government gone bad (or badder)?
Who else would the Governator call upon, in time of disaster, to prove that
he's still in charge?

If the Second Amendment applies to individual rights, then there's no
problem. If it doesn't, then there will certainly be a whole new Grey
Panther-type
underground movement underway - little ole grey-haired ladies - like myself
-
who are packin'! Not a movement underway, I guess, maybe
just...continuing...Gene, I believe, put it very well the other day - if I
may paraphrase - "I
will be one of them".

Recently, my small high desert community initiated a 'disaster council'...so
that we can be prepared in time of emergency. First step was to attempt to
initiate a local blood bank, with the help of the Red Cross. Problem is,
blood
bank would be an hour and a half away, 'down the hill' in San Bernardino,
access to which would be the first road cut off in a real emergency (I would
be
dead by then). And with no fuel in and no way out? Second thing is, blood
banks work on a first-come first-served basis...once we ever managed to get
down the hill, with the freeway collapsed and the railroad inoperative...do
ya
suppose there'd be any blood left? Futility.

We are genuinely worried about an influx of people from LA, to the South,
and Las Vegas, to the North, should a major disaster occur. Much as we would
like to do it, there's no way we could accomodate that many people. Jest? No.
In
recent years, even various tribes who occupy lands adjacent to 'dunes' where
offroading activities are held, have expressed concern that they would -
especially on a holiday weekend - be over-run with panic-stricken bumbling
city-dwellers who'd be demanding food and shelter. These people are
programmed to
pick up the phone when a problem occurs...no forethought as to how to avoid
the problem to begin with. Why bother? Big Brother is out there somewhere.

I'd rather take the time to make sure everyone here knows CPR, how to rescue
animals large and small, teach even the kids the rudimentary first aid, how
to build a fire, how to catch a rabbit, how to make biscuits from scratch,
and how to comfort another human being who's grieving. And get everyone
attuned
to Ye Olde Barter System!

Rumor had it that the local 'government' of a neighboring community (which
sits in a 'bowl' - one way in - one way out) had formulated a disaster plan
that would close off the entire valley should a major emergency occur. I
secretly applauded them, even though the very concept was pooh-poohed by our
own
council. The people 'down the hill' are not going to give an att's rass
about us
up here...in our 'rural residential' community, so plans are in the works
for a community water tank, evacuation center at the local school, etc. Our
volunteer fire department can now locate water sources with GPS, and folks
living off the radar are being contacted to make sure they know who they can
contact should the worst case scenario pay a visit.

Sigh. I guess I've vented now.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

Home.

  • [Homestead] Was Video about Obama, Bunjov, 03/31/2008