homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama Need for Change Happy Easter

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama Need for Change Happy Easter
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:16:34 -0400

franksfarm AT aol.com wrote:

Lord, just look at few rights one has in Civil Court - far better to
be a criminal, and be in criminal Court since a criminal has more? rights! GRR!

You say that sarcastically and sadly it is becoming truth, but I recall
a time, during the Cold War, when those behind the iron curtain resisted
"democracy" and "capitalism" because it would make people into
criminals...we were considered an evil empire because we had so much
crime. Ironic, isn't it, that from outward appearances-the things and
customs we export-we are indeed a nation of criminals...our music is
gangsta, our clothes are prison chic, our commercials are all about what
one can get away with, and our news stories are all about violence and
bad stuff. How long, for example, has Cops been on the air? Law and
Order, CSI? We have a long list of hit shows that we export. Since the
fall of the USSR, all we hear about is the Russian mafia and corruption
there. Certainly, the US does not have a patent on corruption, but we
sure make it easy for the rest of the world to paint us as the perennial
bad guy, and in a world so desperate for change, for fundamental
simplicity in life, we are plowing the ground and setting the soil to
grow fundamentalism in all forms in the world-and when people migrate to
the radical extremes-whatever they may be, but especially where religion
is concerned, wars are born.

Since Obama is relatively new I see that as a positive. The fact that
he has risen far above his circumstances, and birth I see that as a
real positive. Too many members of our government come from the
ranks of the wealthy or have no real stake in the very laws etc. that
they pass.

I actually like Obama as a person. I, like you, respect his service and
his accomplishments in life. I differ in that I simply don't think he
is all that different from the rest of the field of candidates,
certainly not different enough to gather my vote.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky