homestead - Re: [Homestead] Electricity costs and self-reliance

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Electricity costs and self-reliance
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:54:07 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

At 3/7/2008, you wrote:
>In addition to gasoline and propane prices, rising energy costs will
>push electricity prices upward. Have any of you developed cost-
>effective solar systems? Wood-fired or water-powered generators?
>Anything?

Most electricity in the US is from either coal or natural gas. Natural gas
is in short supply and is predicted to peak within the next ten years.
Meanwhile much of it comes out of Canada and with the fall of the dollar is
getting more expensive. Coal is a long ways from peaking but much of that
comes out of Wyoming on rail and with increasing fuel costs will continue to
increase in price. The rails out of Wyoming are at capacity as are the rails
moving container freight from the west coast. Where they cross has become a
bottle neck. Current plans for more double tracking will help but not
alleviate the problem.

What to do? Step one is to conserve as much as possible. Turn down the heat
and turn off lights. A very few well placed lights are cheaper than a whole
house blazing. Alternate energy sources such as wind and solar are fine but
expensive. If you can, buy land with the possibility of water power.

I think a remote homestead should be thinking about electricity. If supplies
of fuel get tight then the more remote lines will not be maintained as often
as lines with more customers. A Diesel or propane powered generator would be
a good investment if you have shop loads.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal