homestead - Re: [Homestead] Closed loops: homesteading, permaculture, biodynamics and more

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Closed loops: homesteading, permaculture, biodynamics and more
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:11:51 -0500

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Use your nearest small town as an example. If there is a chamber of
> commerce then there are those who push for more population, claiming
> that more people will bring more opportunities, more businesses, yada,
> yada, yada. Is that good? Look at the place that has achieved twice as
> much population. Now keep doubling until you get to the big cities.
> Still think growth is a good idea?

My nearest small town has always been against growth for years on the
grounds that it would cost them money. The city council has always
been loath to part with any money at all. Some 30+ years ago when the
government was handing out grants to build wastewater systems, the
council turned the money down because it would, in their opinion, just
encourage people to move in.

So far, they've managed to resist most growth to the present day --
there is a small new development where the kids of long-time residents
have finally put up some new houses.

Marie