homestead - Re: [Homestead] Time is money, not

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Time is money, not
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 07:41:06 -0700

On Mar 7, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

The NYT has an op-ed up this morning on time:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/opinion/07klein.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin
or http://tinyurl.com/33ng9y

And this at the end:

The remedy is to liberate ourselves from Franklin’s equation. Time is not money but “the element in which we exist,” as Joyce Carol Oates put it more than two decades ago (in a relatively leisurely era). “We are either borne along by it or drowned in it.”

Stefan Klein is the author, most recently, of “The Secret Pulse of Time: Making Sense of Life’s Scarcest Commodity.” This article was translated by Shelley Frisch from the German.

Note the parens about two decades ago being a relatively leisurely era.

We do seem to be increasingly focussed on time. We are becoming conditioned more each day to wanting to achieve and gain more, faster. We evidence greater stress, and the stress is killing us. I muse that the Internet is burying people in so much information that we are overwhelmed. It requires great discipline to resist.