homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:37:01 -0600

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:35 PM, tom <tom AT honeychrome.com> wrote:
> For a practical tool avoid an old, antique American scythe- its a
> different animal from a European scythe.

I have one of those, because I inherited it.

Even the old antiques did work well when they were sharp and in the
hands of a skilled user. One of my great aunts used to mow quarter
mile lane with scythe, and it looked absolutely easy. Of course, I had
to try it, but I just couldn't get the hang of -- not that I tried
really hard, and my aunt wasn't much of a teacher.

Marie