homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Owner States Free Gas" ?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Owner States Free Gas" ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:10:29 -0700

On Feb 28, 2008, at 2:42 PM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

What does this mean in the context of a real estate advert?

Usually it means that the Realtor's eating habits may be dangerous to your nostrils.

That
there's some kind of gas easement over the property? How hideous is
this? How dangerous?

There ain't no free lunch. There is an old homestead saying, "Never look a gift goat in the mouth."

I've never heard of it till now but I am starting to poke around
various real estate markets and I'm seeing it over and over again. It
seems to be a West Virginia/Tenn thing, mostly.

Have you considered calling one of the advertisers and asking them what they mean? Sending them an e-mail? No, you just figure hey, I'll ask the homestead list, that group of superior people knows everything. That is, of course, only slightly short of the truth.

Can you educate a furriner?

Please to be givin' us a break on that one. How long you been here?

Okay, here's my take. The "gas" is most likely natural gas. It is likely that some company owns the mineral rights under the property. The company may or may not be currently taking the gas out of the ground for commercial purposes. It is most likely that the company contracted with the owner of record for a sale or lease price of the mineral rights that includes payment in the form of free household usage gas if the company in fact has a pipeline within service distance to the house.

That's my guess and I am sticking to it but I am expecting you will correct it after you ask one of the Realtors.

Natural gas is lighter than air. It is only dangerous if it leaks in a confined place and there are nearby ignition sources. Explosions are rare as the gas-air mix must be within certain ratios.

If I were considering a property that did not include mineral rights I would look at the recorded documents relating to the minerals. The rights could include access to drill or well locations that would conflict with one's enjoyment of the property.