homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scythes and scything

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scythes and scything
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:27:38 EST

> I use a scythe as my main green-cutting tool; it's not as much of a
> sacrifice as it might sound.

Very excellent.

Very much in line with what homesteading is all about.

Many such descriptions are met immediately with "You can't expect ME to cut
grass with a scythe, what with the terrible pain in all the diodes down my
left
side!"
With patience, anyone can do it. My arthritic grandmother was doing it until
her late nineties and, as I, as a result live well past 100.

Thanks for the myth busting testimomial that without a gas powered string
trimmer and rotary mower, one's place would grow over like a jungle in a
season.

Here we have marginal hay as well, the main thing is that even on the places
that are two or more acres of continuous hay, it all doesn't "ripen" at the
same time. Mowing it by machine all at once is inefficient as far as the
amount
of hay produced is concerned. Also if the hay is put in haystacks, it can be
cut and cured a little at a time which is impossible with bailing.

Some years ago it was with a grit of determination we vowed to get rid of the
string trimmer and rotary mower around the garden, vinyard, and orchard and
use a short brush blade instead. It is LESS work than string trimmer once
one
has the technique down. Add to that a proper sicle, kaiser blade, and a few
other tools an soon the myth that the motor powered tool is easier disappears.

James </HTML>