homestead - Re: [Homestead] Globalism

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Globalism
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:49:59 -0700

I had written:

Every human animal wants all they can get with as little labor as possible to get it.

To which James replied:

Every?? You? Me? Certainly not me. I could "get" a lot more
things, have done it in the past, but have decided that more was distinctly
unsatisfying. The Nearings, for example, were wealthy but chose to live frugally
and do a lot of hard manual labor. Long list could follow.

To which I replied:

Ah, James. For you and all of us the getting is not just material goods. It is time for our music and time for our families.

Shame on me. Mea culpa. As a writer it is my responsibility to make clear my position. In my original statement I should have said "effort" instead of "labor." Using "labor," especially in the discussion context, implied a return of material goods. Better yet would have been: "Every human animal wants all they can get out of life with the least effort."

I wrote it badly. This I find upsetting. I must now figure out a proper penance. Suggestions are solicited.