homestead - Re: [Homestead] Globalism

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Globalism
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:07:37 -0700

Every human animal
wants all they can get with as little labor as possible to get it.

Every?? You? Me? Certainly not me. I could "get" a lot more things, have
done it in the past, but have decided that more was distinctly unsatisfying.
The Nearings, for example, were wealthy but chose to live frugally and do a
lot of hard manual labor. Long list could follow.

Ah, James. For you and all of us the getting is not just material goods. It is time for our music and time for our families.

Right now most of the world's people
want to emulate our lifestyle. It is a wave that cannot be held back.

Just my point. When we North Americans and to a lesser extent Western
Europeans could bamboozle the world out of its labor and resources for our own
opulence and ease, the livestye was sustainable. Now that countless billions in
the rest of the world want a crust of the pie, the very resources that supported
our lifestly are being burned at both ends and the middle. The desire and
notion of our lifestyle cannot be held back, but the reality of finite resources
in an ever expanding ever upwardly mobile world population can. And is.

That seems to me indisputable.

There are certain unalterable truths. We animals and our food chain is one. With our brains we have stretched many truths, but Nature bats last.