homestead - Re: [Homestead] Localism, was Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Localism, was Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:06:37 -0700

The potato famine is not an example of the failure of a localized and
diversified economy.

I only used it to show the vulnerability of relying on local food production. I happen to be a big advocate of local food production, but I think it is insane to rely on it and not have alternative supplies.

Localization and isolationism are not the same thing.

That goes without saying.

To say
homesteading, working toward maximum self-reliance and self-
sufficiency, is impossible on a national scale is to imply it is also
impossible on a global scale- if that is correct then there is no
future for human-kind, for what is living on this planet in a
sustainable manner if it is not 'homesteading' on a global scale?

Read my response to James.

How much land do you use? Now multiply "you" by ten, or a hundred. Still happy?

Earth has a carrying capacity.