homestead - Re: [Homestead] Neat toys

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Neat toys
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:42:36 EST

> When one has more trees than will ever be needed, the size of
> the kerf is insignificant.

True, but the kerf difference is often exaggerated. With enough set to not
burn up the blade or dog the engine, a bandsaw mill will cut about a 3/16"
kerf. A properly set up circular saw mill will cut 1/4" kerf. I've worked
both
and paid attention to this. You save about 1/16" per cut with the bandsaw.

The last bandsaw mill I worked had no hydrolics and accepted up to a 22' log.
It's work to move and turn the log, and no mistake, but not nearly so much
as people imagine (like with any type of manual labor). Two AB people with
log
dogs can move a 5000 lb log pretty handily. </HTML>