homestead - Re: [Homestead] Neat toys

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Neat toys
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:19:42 -0700

On Feb 14, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

While at an agriculture machinery show recently I watched a demonstration
of the WoodMizer band saw mill. If one had a decent woodlot it would be a
mush have machine. See the journal for a picture.

The first must-have would be the ten grand.

These machines come in a wide price range, going up, up, up as hydraulics are added. And to make true quarter-sawn boards there is a lot of turning of those very heavy logs. For that reason I will ask my friend who has a swing-blade mill to let me work with him and see if I like it. When one has more trees than will ever be needed, the size of the kerf is insignificant. Can always use that sawdust for paths and lightweight mortar projects and concrete.