homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cemetary as homestead business

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cemetary as homestead business
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:41:28 -0600

On Jan 10, 2008 9:15 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> That's in my state. It would do well to know the laws of your state and
> prepare accordingly. No funeral for me! That $9000 would buy one hell of
> a send
> off party! </HTML>

My late husband was seriously determined to be cremated rather than
buried. He made arrangements with the Illinois Cremation Society so
that when he died I had only to call them, and they did the leg work
of calling a local funeral home and arranging for his body to be
transported there. The fee was a thousand dollars, which at the time
was money well spent. I didn't want to deal with a 200-pound autopsied
body that hadn't been put back together for polite inspection.

We had a party. His friends came and told Jim stories (I wish I had a
tape of the stories), and everyone ate and drank all that they could
carry. The local Amvets gave me use of their building for the event
(Jim had cataloged veteran graves in the county, and Amvets thought he
was a fine fellow).

Jim's ashes are still in a cardboard box, waiting to be spread at his
favorite hunting stand, which his sister and I finally identified a
couple of years ago, and at other various places he knew and loved.
I'll save back some so my niece and nephew can stir us in together and
spread appropriately.

Marie