homestead - [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: Brussels Sprouts]

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: Brussels Sprouts]
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 00:41:18 -0500

And yet another one from James..

After reading the review of the Long Island, I am thinking of trying a
different variety and was wondering what variety (OP only please) you
grow and where you live.

Bev, couldn't tell if you were addressing this to someone specifically, so
pardon the intrusion otherwise.

There is a very good type available from Nichols (at least) called Rubine.
It's red, like red cabbage, but only a little shorter season than Long Island.

I'm not very successful with Sprouts, although I've had some to eat from the
garden. Here are the mistakes I made, the correction of which yielded better.

1) As you pointed out, they are loooooong season. Start them like early
cabbage but don't expect to be chowing down until rather far in the fall.

2) Keep the fertility modest.

3) Just as soon as a sprout begins to form at a leaf joint, break the leaf
off. If it is growing a leaf AND a sprout at the same joint, the sprout gets
slighted. The plant thinks it's got a second year to make the sprout before it
intends to bolt to seed so why hurry?

4) Just as soon as the bottom sprout gets to be 1" or so across, harvest it.

5) Toward fall leave some plants unharvested. Sprouts will not freeze and
you can have some all winter fresh from the garden.