homestead - [Homestead] Cutting dry wood

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cutting dry wood
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:03:59 -0500

Hey all,

I've got a dead red oak tree in the woods. It died last year and did
not come back this. It is right where I view the woods from the house
and I'm tired of looking at it. It's about 20 24" at the base.

This morning I cut it down. Admittedly, it's a little big for my 40cc
18" chainsaw, but would make great firewood.

Problem is it is dry and the saw chain dulled after cutting the tree
down and bucking a few lengths. What is the best way to proceed, just
sharpen the chain a lot? Seems a shame to just leave a couple
truckloads of firewood laying on the ground to compost.

Rob - Va