homestead - Re: [Homestead] build to last? was: preserving poles

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] build to last? was: preserving poles
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:29:52 -0500

On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:26 PM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

That is one of the things I am looking forward to. I know you (Gene) like
to work with stone and it is something I have little experience with.

Stone masonry is beautiful and, if done right, will last many lifetimes.

It also is time intensive. I keep trying to do it smarter but have sometimes spent an hour wandering around looking for just the right stone. Great exercise. One plan yet unfulfilled is multiple low trailers loaded with stone parked around the building site. Following the Nearing's example, I set aside separated flat stones, corner stones and uglies when I have time.

It is wholly cost-effective and Gaia sustaining to build with materials available very close to the building site. Here in the Ozarks and on this particular piece of paradise we have clay, sand, gravel, stream rock, field stone, ledge stone, and a wide variety of tree species. Did I mention that I feel I am in self-help heaven?

Benny urged me to take a walk after my self-assigned tasks today and I walked the far side of the stream to the east. The mix of many- sized shortleaf pine and cedar, the stones covered with moss, the sound of the stream, the wind in the leaves, made me nearly cry with the perfection of it all.