homestead - Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Responses to preserving poles in the ground
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:57:59 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
This raises the issue of personal philosophy. Builders and contractors typically build a structure according to code, which means the building will stand through one or two mortgages. We individuals building for our own use typically strive to make a structure that will last as long as we expect to use it and sell it or maybe long enough for our children to use it. Concrete is expensive; it contains a fair amount embedded energy in the cement and it must be installed in good forms with the right mix ratio and the drainage that Don wrote about. Perfect drainage and strong, reinforced concrete can create the bottom of a building that will last centuries.

It's a choice.
Sustainability would say build to last as long as regenerating the materials it is from.

Peace,
Kathyann