homestead - [Homestead] Qualcomm stadium evacuation center

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Qualcomm stadium evacuation center
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:56:23 -0700

It was mentioned on an earlier post about the surreal atmosphere surrounding the Qualcomm Stadium evacuation center. I spent the night working a shelter myself and want to dash off a reply before going to sleep in preparation for another 12 hour shift.

The rock bands, gourmet buffets, and all the rest, none was paid for by any agency. Those bands were people wanting to help, break the boredom of people worried if they would have a home to return to, people worried about missing relatives and pets. Bands showed up saying we can do this to help and help they did. Restaurants saw customers in distress and said we can do this to help and help they did. No different than the thousands of people who have dropped off food, clothing, taken in animals, filled houses with evacuees, worked long hours volunteering. It may have been surreal but it was just people wanting to help people, no more no less, and exactly what you will see in any community.

I could go on about my own shelter work in a fancy hotel but time for some sleep before going back at it, doing what I am scheduled to do for the next week along with thousands of other volunteers.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com