homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:24:48 -0800

Now, see, you've done the same thing the other poster did.

While I was born in a rather large city, San Francisco, the big cities are the exception, not the rule in California regardless of what you see on the ol' tele. <g>

My "real" hometown has a population of 26,000 and it's the biggest city in the county I used to live in which is the size of two Delewares and one Rhode Island. Now compare the total population of a place that size (128,000) with the combined total of the 2 Delewares and one Rhode Island (2,774,562).

Or, where I live now which has a total population of 14,313 and covers an area of 3,178.61 sq. miles which slightly larger than one Deleware and one Rhode Island (2,998.49 sq. miles) with a population total of 1,921,086.

And, while I am inclined to stick with Northern California since we have far fewer folks immigrating from other states telling us how great where ever they came from is and I wonder why the heck they don't go back there, there are plenty of places in Southern California that are no more crowded than we are up here.

Lynda, who hates the weather on the whole of the East Coast. Too much humidity, too many bugs, too many nasty snakes, too many really rotten roads and too weird real estate tax laws! <g>
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

If I was FORCED to choose between the south's humid summers and the
crowds,

Crowds? (I know you qualified this with 'Atlanta' later in the post ...
but) Crowds?

I've been to SoCal and I've lived most of my life in the South (American by
birth and Southern by the grace of God sort of thing) and I've got to say that
from what I've seen California's got it all over us as far as crowds are
concerned.

No ... wait .... I was just kidding. It IS crowded here. Elbow to elbow,
spaces are so small you have to go outside to change your mind .... yeah, that's
the ticket ... crowded. CROWDED! Stay in California, don't come to the
South!!

James

P.S. I lived for a number of years in Atlanta and its problems are not that
it is in the South, but rather that it is a huge sprawling city. I haven't
yet met a huge sprawling city anywhere that I liked, or even tolerated. </HTML>