homestead - Re: [Homestead] Was water: Sport & Resources

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Was water: Sport & Resources
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:12:09 -0800

They can use buffalo grass but most don't. They can also used terciary treated water and a lot don't. The majority in places like Arizona, So. Cal. and NM use treated water. Heck even the golf courses in Northern Cal use treated water.

Heck, one city up in Oregon actually built a golf course as a way to get rid of its wastewater.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

It could be argued that every sport uses resources of one kind or another.
Could golf courses be planted w/ a drought resistant kind of grass or why
couldn't they play with dead grass? Other than the aesthetics, perhaps dead
grass blades don't cut well or would effect how a ball moves on the grass,
it could become Ultimate Golf (golf courses w/ brown greens).

Sport is a recreational activity, even if it provides an income for many, it
is not vital. It makes no sense to me how a homeowner is told to let their
lawn and landscaping plants die yet the golf course down the road remains
green. I see that as being equal. Gardens should fall under an exception
since they provide food.

Think, too, about NASCAR. Not water, but fuel. I am not a NASCAR fan, but
thousands are and it's big business.