homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable saw mill
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:51:09 -0700

My grandfather put his steam engine on a sawmill when it was not working the thresher and hammer mill. His father ran a horse powered sweep on a mill. My uncle ran a mill with an IHC 15-30. In the mid 50s he took the mill and mounted it on the back of a truck. It was an International KB series. The frame was extended to 50 feet and the mill and carriage were mounted on the back. He used the truck drive shaft to get power to the mill. He could move to a small stand and cut and stack saving a lot of money and handling. I worked as off bearer on that thing many times. His son tells me that it still exists but so far has not taken me there.

I keep thinking it was a Frick but memory has been proven wrong many times. It is all cast double blade and again I cannot remember the sizes. He cut a lot of bridge lumber, at one time having the country contract. He was one that looked like he barely moved but few could keep up with him as every movement accomplished something.

One thing he did was come onto a lot and pull out the good lumber and pulp wood. The pulp wood went to Fort Madison and the good lumber went through the mill to be stickered and stacked. Any thing good enough for barrel staves was split and sold. Then the next year of so would come back and build a bard or house. I worked for him a lot and he taught me a lot about logging and carpentry.

One strong memory I have is eating lunch then him sitting down with his pipe and file and touching up and inspecting every tooth. Any tooth with even a small problem that could not be touched up with a file was replaced. Since then I have watched many sawmills at shows and few had that singing sound his blade did. One exception was a portable double bladed mill in use at the Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant Iowa. The sawer was an 89 y.o. gentleman that reminded me of my uncle. He ran circles around his crew, all appeared to be his sons and grandsons. He knew my uncle and I spent a really pleasant hour talking to him about my experiences.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com