homestead - Re: [Homestead] What some of it means

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What some of it means
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:20:05 -0700 (PDT)

One reason that we pay less for food than anyone in
the world ever has (I believe) is that farmers can not
control the price of most of their sales. This has
caused them to take low prices and make up the
difference by expanding. A cycle that has caused
increasingly tight profit margins. At some point
corporate farms will gain such a large percentage of
the market they will be able to control the wholesale
price of agricultural products. As that happens I'm
sure that our food prices will start to rise, and the
percentage of our income spent for food will increase
instead of decline.
Now, having said that I'm thinking about poultry. In
our part of the country at least there is no place
where a small producer can go and sell eggs or
chickens wholesale which means that industrial
producers have the market except for those who market
directly to the consumer. That could be 90-99% of the
market?? If relative price of poultry products are
not rising that may question the theory I have just
spouted.
Van Dell