homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild Rabbits

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild Rabbits
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:24:24 -0500

I don't know about reproduction, but they sure like to hang out together. However, it would not surprise me if a bunch of domestic rabbits eventually reverted to a wild-like agouti coloring so that identification became difficult. Perhaps that is what you are seeing at your place rather than a hybridization.

Wendy

I have domestic rabbits and a few got loose and have formed a
"wild" warren that consists of the domestics and a few extra wild ladies.

I could have sworn that I was seeing some of the posterity of domestic
rabbits that had gotten loose years before. But domestic rabbits and American wild
rabbits aren't the same species (in fact, they aren't even the same genus),
they don't have the same number of chromozomes and so can't interbreed.

James </HTML>