homestead - [Homestead] For all latter-day male hippies

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] For all latter-day male hippies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:34:36 -0500

The cyclops Polyphemous to his beloved, Galatea:

Abundant hair hangs over my fierce face
and shoulders, shading me, just like a grove;
but don't think me unsightly just because
I am completely covered in dense bristles:
unsightly is the tree that has no leaves,
the horse without a mane; birds have their plumage
and sheep are most attractive in their wool,
so facial hair and a full body beard
are really most becoming in a man.

Ovid, Metamorphoses, Book XIII (trans. Charles Martin)

  • [Homestead] For all latter-day male hippies, Gene GeRue, 09/13/2007