homestead - Re: [Homestead] A Study in Gray

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A Study in Gray
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:46:37 -0800

Actually, you do. That was the point. You avoid, at all costs, anything that doesn't fit your scenario. You pick apart or reframe a discussion so that your black and white absolutism fits. Bottomline, you can preach unschooling till h*ll freezes over but your mindset is p.s. It is your way or the highway. Everything and everybody else is wrong until the *expert* pontificates. Yup, just like p.s.

You don't believe that little things will help, so you immediately tear down anything that is said that doesn't fit that scenario. You spent time until you found something on the link Bill sent that would support your negative attitude. Heaven forbid that there be something there that was actually working because that wouldn't have received a second of your time, let alone enough time to think about what positive impact it might have.

A real good example of your usual and customary reframing "For example, the gadgetless cook can easily get a "true" simmer over a gas stove, wood stove, charcoal grill, and probably over a candle flame. But to the gadget aficionado, no .... it's got to be a specific type of electric stove or else it isn't a "true" simmer. A bit black and white, wouldn't you say?"

a) I never mentioned a "specific type of electric stove;" b) nor did I say one couldn't get a true simmer from "some" gas stoves, nor did I mention a wood stove, a charcoal grill or a candle flame, this is simply one more example of your inability to read precisely what was written and respond accordingly.

You took what I said out of context and reframed it, but that doesn't change the facts! Your little rant is just that, the sitting on the floor, heel kicking of someone who doesn't like being proven wrong!

I'll put my skills in the kitchen up against yours any day of the week! Playing with gadgets hasn't deminished those skills one little bit. Those gadgets do exactly what I said, free up my time for other things. Hmmmm, gadgetless things at that. Not a tractor or rototiller to be seen in my garden, nor has there ever been! And the knitting, crocheting, lace making and embroidery plus at least 50% of the quilting is all done by hand. Sheesh, knowing you, you'd prbably gripe that I use a spinning wheel for making yarn.

Lynda, who hates having to agree with Bill!

----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

In "my" reality, I can't dismiss things I would prefer not be true by saying
that after all, *everything* is a shade of gray. No body really believes that
and certainly no one acts on that belief.